Sunday, November 30, 2008

Results from the Marathon



The Philadelphia Marathon was quite an experience. My goal was just to complete the darn thing! I did complete it, it took me 5 hours and 22 minutes to do so. I was fine up until mile 18 and that was when I hit "THE WALL",  It is in those remaining miles that you dig deep and pull  inspiration from what ever resource you can. I thought about alot of things in those last 8.2 miles.  Most of my thoughts were consumed with quitting ( I must be honest) but I held on and after some grueling miles and alot of pain, the finish line was in site and I was soon over it. 

My Coach Jean Marie asked the girls handing out the medals if I could have an extra one to give my brother, to which they s graciously agreed (Thank you!) The next day I went to see my Brother and presented him with his medal. You could see the pride in his eyes for what I had accomplished. He is a good Brother. He wore his medal all day and would show it off to everyone around. When I was leaving he said "Congratulations on running your race" I replied, "My race was nothing compared to yours!"

Jean Marie, I want to thank you specifically for all your hard work with me. You were just what I needed for this Marathon, a God Send. I could not have done it without you.
I also want to thank my Wife , Lara and our 4 children for supporting me through all the training and the future training. 

I also want to thank the Pineland Striders running group for helping me with my mileage and being such a great group whom I have made some great friendships through.

I also want to thank all those who contributed to The Spinal Research foundation. 

1 comment:

DJ_Jagged said...

Rob,

Congrats on finishing the big race. It sounds like a very meaningful accomplishment. Way to hang in there after hitting the wall! My brother-in-law is training for a triathalon right now.

Gregg